Friday, December 03, 2004

babie's very first indian rain

this is my 5th month total in india and it's pouring rain outside for the first time in my life. it's so cool.
this territory-kerala-is very familiar since i spent 2 months here last year. your senses get reaquainted, one person at a time is remembering me, tattoo girl, bindi, i am trying to remember theirs as well. i have vowed to never set foot inside the german bakery again because it's outgrown it's numbers and it's charm. and there are so many restaurants that serve food as good or better for less than half the price, less than half the wait. and who wants to hear a bunch of westerners bitch about the service and how small they want their food cut, and there's ants in the jaggery, and this isn't hot enough.....anyhow, i hit 3 places for good coffee and juices and some kick ass banana upuma with baby roasted indian peanuts (i love those-and the purple curry leaves).

my favorite restaurant called "beatles" cause the guys who own it love the beatles band, added a bamboo second level for sunset watching. nothing could have made me prouder. now i don't have to sit in that overpriced horrible "fusion" restaurant-the other one owned by german bakery owner. i actually got my first food poisoning there and it's the most expensive one on the row. it was on bindi fry, hence my nick name.

i wasted no time and decided to go see "hulchul", a hindi movie starring hunk akshay khanna, the ever wonderful amrish poori (sorry for poor hindi spelling), and, of course, kareena kapoor, who is starting to grow on me. she plays good lawyers.
what's funny is i was about to just catch a bus down to "new theatre" when i was locking up my hotel, turned around to see my rickshaw pal sharaf standing on a little hill, arms crossed. there was no way in hell he could have known i was going to see a movie, and at 10am! promptly walked me to his same rickshaw wth the 2 posters (crying baby in army fatigues with quote "don't worry, be happy) and the other one of "red rum" some famous racing horse. it was great to see him. that's india. it works in very mysterious ways.
hulchul was fun, hulchul means "secret wedding."
off to watch the non-sunset-watch my very first indian downpour.
bindifry

No comments: